Thursday, March 25, 2010

Alexander 6, V23.

One of the most terrible 2 days just passed away and here I am. I couldn't post anything yesterday for the bad condition I had with my headache... apparently my head hates me so much!
Yesterday was also the supposed day of the visit of the German Ambassador to our work place and after only 4 hours from his visit, I received an email message from the Public Relation as a notice or some news item about his visit with pictures, and of course no pictures from the center were presented there.
The headache that took over my right side of the head left me for my own business later on after taking some pain killers finally, two times, on Wednesday; that is yesterday. I didn't go to work because of it, and as I said before I was not there when the ambassador was here. It made me idle a bit and I had some sort of weird feelings... pardon, I don't mean this is the first time I get some weird feelings, but well, it was like connected to the headache somehow. Feeling yourself living alone and can barely see people, or you do things and then think "why did I do this or that?".

Amid my meditation in the house yard (if I can call it so) I thought of trying out my new lens, the EF 15mm Fisheye lens. It made me discover some stuff that I didn't think of before unfortunately, but well, I can say it is doing a nice job already.


The work is still going on with this one, and here you can see only a regular version. I tried to fix the exposure range perfectly in between +/-2, but maybe I missed in one or two angles. The other thing here is that I tried my best to rotate the tripod head at a fixed rate of 50 degrees for each angle. The result was 20 something shots for each row (3 rows of them at different azimuthal angles). So, I can say it is far much lesser than the usual work. I feel that even my work with 50 degrees can be expanded to something like 60 degrees, thus making the number of angles I have to shoot at lesser.

My fisheye lens (picture from BH website)

First of all, it was a bit awkward to work with a lens with a fixed focal length, and hence, without any zooming in and out, but well, as a friend of mine said (and who taught me everything I know about photography) told me that lenses with fixed focal lengths, in general, tend to give better results and sharper images. I think for a first glance, yes, it is true.
However, there are some things that I didn't think about before buying this, but I'm not regretting anyway since I think it is a very nice lens already. The lens is from EF series (not EF-S), and that means it is dedicated for a fullframe camera. The specifications say that it would show you a FoV of 180 degrees. It is not said (as you can see in the BH website link below the image) whether this is a horizontal FoV or a diagonal. Some websites reviewing the same lens mentioned that it is a diagonal. However, I think this FoV is indeed 180 degrees ONLY with a fullframe camera, and not with a camera like mine with a sensor of some crop factor (crop factor: a factor of cropping related to the original 35mm film size). In other words, part of the image that the lens collects only, falls upon the small sensor of my camera, and hence my camera cannot take the whole FoV literally. Well, the only shame in this is that I won't be able to do nice skydomes maybe. Nevertheless, the lens is also good for a close-up photography and doing some effects as well.

While I was working on the cleaning kit, which I didn't find any manual on how to use it but it should be simple (later on I found out the instructions leaflet was here in the office), I noticed that when I put the sensor loupe (some lens with bright LEDs to lighten up the sensor for cleaning) that they make nice patters when I put that on the lens. I tried hardly to get a pic of this, but it was so hard since I have to put the camera vertically above the loup and lens combination. After all, I think I managed somehow, although I'm not sure it is that good;



I use the loupe also to find out if there are any fingerprints on the lens surface, as they are hard to see in regular light. The image was taken with the fisheye lens as well, but here I already gave up my chances with the tripod because of the complicated settings that I need (and some levers in the tripod do not move adequately).
Apparently, I'm lucky to be alive now to write down all of this rubbish for you people. I almost got myself killed in the lab after some device was blown up because of the vacuum pressure. The sound was extreme, I'm looking at it now and laughing... for real...

The Freeze-Drying Machine that blew off today

Right, I have to get to write some papers now, and than God it is Thursday (TGIT).

__________
529. then Alexander asked Ázilis about his words
530. then Ázilis replied: you should know O good king,
531. there are things in this life that destiny had decided,
532. I've roamed the lands to gather the wisdom,
533. and for a look into the stars I knew days will come,
534. when a young king of faith shall come to me for guidance,
535. thus I spent sixty of my years waiting for the promise,
536. and here it is I see it come true,
537. go ahead O good king and ask your questions,
538. verily my days are numbered in this life
539. then Alexander put his palm on Ázilis' forehead
540. and said with a low voice: Ázilis, O good old man,
541. verily you have faced many a troubles for this wisdom,
542. and verily God will reward you in the afterlife,
543. and may sooner or later we become your companions there,
544. but tell me O wise one, about one saying in the old papers,
545. the papers of your ancestors when you were a shepherd,
546. one saying that might resolve my problems forever,
547. "when the full moon over Daynur,
548. becomes reddish in its light and hue,
549. then watch the shake of Uhir Daynur,
550. it is then you will have the Ayvar bless"
551. and Alexander went silent and looked into the eyes
552. while Ázilis smiled a yellowish smile of sickness




No comments:

Post a Comment